Red Velvet is a super trendy cake nowadays. Who wouldn’t want to bake a perfectly baked, moist red velvet filled and frosted with cream cheese frosting. The recipe of red velvet is very close to Devli’s food cake and you can even say this is a variation of devil’s food cake.
Ingredients for Cake:
•4 egg (room temp)
• 600 gm sugar
• 500 gm flour
• 4 tbsp coco powder [ We use Cadburry Cocoa , price varies from 350-450 tk and available at superstores, generel stores etc.] • 200 gm butter ( room temp/cut into small pieces) [You can use Aarong/Pran Butter, Milk Vita is a little too salty for this recipe, price is around 160-170 tk] • 2 tbsp brewed coffee [We always use Nescafe Gold, a large bottle is probably 700-800 tk, you can buy the smaller ones though] • 1 cup sour cream [Naarmann sour cream is the brand that we use, costs about 700-800 tk per litre polypack] • 1 cup milk
• 3 tbspoon red food color. (You can use Foster Clark/ Bakewell liquid color or 1 tablespoon of Wilton/Sugarflair/Americolor gel color)
• 4 tsp vanilla essence [Foster Clark works fine] • 2 tsp baking soda
• 1.5 tbsp vinegar [ White Vinegar]
• Preheat the oven to 175 degree Celsius/350 degree Fahrenheit.
• Warm up the milk a little and mix coffee powder with it.
• Pour sour cream over the coffee mixed milk after getting into room temperature and stir well.
• In a bowl sift together flour and cocoa powder and set aside.
• In a large bowl start beating butter until fluffy.
• Add sugar gradually and continue beating.
• Add the eggs, one at a time and mix until well combined ( remember not to overbeat the egg, otherwise the cake will have a rubbery texture).
• Once the mixture is well combined, add the dry and wet ingredients alternatives ( 1/3rd at a time). DO NOT OVERMIX.
• Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again with a spatula.
• Now comes the tricky part. Spoon over the baking soda on the mix and then pour the vinegar just on top of the soda. You will see fizzes, mix quickly and thoroughly.
• Pour the mix quickly in the pre greased 10 inches cake pans( try to make the top as even as possible).
• Bake in the pre heated oven for 24-30 minutes until a wooden stick comes out clean.
Ingredients for the Frosting:
- 1 and 1/2 cup of cream cheese. (Preferably Philadelphia or Garden’or cheese blocks, available in Gulshan DCC 1 market)
- 1/3 cup superfine icing sugar ( You can Use SIS or even Anchor, we use custom made icing sugar though)
- 2/3 cup Italian/Swiss meringue buttercream. ( usual recipes call for butter, which i replaced with meringue buttercream for a smoother and stiffer frosting.)
- Start beating the cream cheese in a bowl with a hand held or stand alone electric beater. Beat until there is no lump in it.
- Gradually add icing sugar and continue beating until all the sugar is incorporated. There should be no grittiness.
- Add buttercream and mix for a brief amount of time. Do not overmix at this point, If there is any curdling, add a bit of softened ( but not melted) butter and beat, it should be alright.
Once the frosting is ready and your cake is cooled for an hour or so you can start filling and icing your cake. Before you put on the final decoration you have to crumb coat the cake and let it set in the refrigerator for a while.
Now decorate your cake as per you wish. Keep it simple like this:
Or you can add some buttercream decoration:
Or Cover the cake with Fondant and decorate in style.